My poor little Austin has had the weirdest thing happening to him. About two weeks ago he had this rash that just covered his whole body. It was on his body for two or three days and then it just disappeared. Well, not he was a whole new kind of rash. It started on Sunday as red rashes and now it has turned into targets. We went to the doctor this afternoon and they said it looks like a classic case of erythema multiforme. In other words, it's a rash that is NORMALLY a reaction to medication. But, Austin hasn't been on any kind of medication. After the physicians assistant(she was so nice by the way) checked with some other doctors and consulting Doctor Isacsson, they made the decision to do some blood work to make sure that there was no other abnormal thing going on. Austin did so well with the blood work, a lot better than I expected.Well I did some research on the computer after I got to my mom's house and as it turns out it makes sense on why the determined that this rash is called Erythema Multiforme. The definition is: Erythema multiforme is an allergic reaction with many different causes. It can affect people of all ages and is often more severe in children and young adults. Erythema multiforme often starts as a red rash on the palms, soles, and back of the hands. It can spread to the trunk, face, and mouth in severe cases. Some people only have erythema multiforme in the mouth. As the skin lesions age they often look like small targets with purple to dusky centers surrounded by red rings. The condition can be associated with fever, muscle aches, and not feeling well.
With Austin it started out as a red rash and he obviously doesn't feel well, but now I want to know what he might be allergic to.
I did some other research and it turns out that this rash can also be viral, which the doctor's said that it probably is because of a viral infection. The reason why there are target looking welts on his body where the rash is because it is the body's reaction to get rid of the virus. It takes from 7 to 14 days to clear up.
There is no treatment for this rash, Austin just has to let it take its coarse. Poor Austin! I just feel so bad for him!

1 comment:
Oh man, poor guy! Give him an extra big hug and kiss for me and I hope he feels better soon. See you guys on Sunday!
Post a Comment